Flmlvr

Film Fanatic That Loves To Read

First off, that is me on the left (I'm pictured with my niece). Okay, I'm not exactly the biggest book nerd out there, but books have been a very important part of my life. It has helped me through things like, ohhhhhh, real life maybe. In my hours of triumph to the darkest of tragedies, books have always been important to me. Depending on my mood at a given time - like many of us - will depend on what kind of book I'm reading. Reading opens the mind and makes the world more understandable in its complication. Simply put, I love the world of books...........

The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter
Progress: 100/318 pages
The Forty Days of Musa Dagh
Peter Sourian, Franz Werfel
Progress: 90/824 pages

The Definitive Account of the JFK Presidency…...

President Kennedy: Profile of Power - Richard Reeves

Being I was only 3 when JFK was murdered in Dallas, the books that came out immediately afterwards were mostly adulatory accounts. He was a man on a shiny white horse who was going to make the world a better place. He did make a few mistakes, but he learned from them, and got better control of his power, showing he had absolute potential greatness, and was tragically cut down. So that is what I believed.

Then came the revisionism.

And the JFK portrayed in the revisionism was a no good dirty politician, he cheated on his wife, was a crappy president, couldn't do one damn thing right, and got what he deserved in Dallas.

Oh come on, really? Who was telling the truth here? I simply didn't know who to believe.

But Richard Reeves' 1993 biography on the JFK presidency is undoubtedly the most three-dimensional that JFK has ever come off. He is simply a human being - and a complex one. Though JFK's womanizing has been well known for many years, it was this book that told us just how sick JFK really was. I don't mean a slight headache type of sick. I mean some SERIOUS stuff wrong with him - stuff that would have ended his career if known. it is a minute-by-minute account of what he knew and when, showing that he reacted great to some circumstances, and not so good with others. He comes into office with such a "can do" attitude, only to be hit with the reality of just HOW complex the job really is.

It only covers his presidency, so I can't say it's a complete history of the man. But it's as close as anybody is going to get to the real JFK (reportedly - so I don't know if it's true or not - Jackie bought 2 copies of the book for John and Caroline to read). Definitely worth your time.